HUNTINGTON, UT - AUGUST 16: An Emery County ambulance leaves the Crandall Canyon coal mine August 16, 2007 near Huntington, Utah. Several ambulances and a MEDEVAC helicopter arrived at the mine in the evening as rescuers were injured during a collapse as they searched for six coal miners trapped 1,500 feet beneath the surface at the Crandall Canyon coal mine after an August 6 cave-in. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

If you’ve ever used a neti pot, chances are you believed it was beneficial to your health to do so.

Neti pot’s resemble small teapots and are used to clear out nasal passages.

This can help to prevent infection.

However, in the case of a 69-year-old woman from Seattle, using a neti pot contributed to her death.

According to the Seattle Times, the woman, who was not named in the article, underwent brain surgery after doctors found what they believed was a tumor.

During surgery, however, they realized that the tumor was actually a rare amoeba.

One of the doctors operating on the woman noted that she had so much amoeba eating away at her brain cells.

Doctors say the rare amoeba is the result of the woman using tap water in her neti pot, rather than sterile water.

Sadly, she died about a month after surgery.

While tap water is safe to drink, it can carry bacteria that can survive inside the nose.

After reading this, will you still use a neti pot?

QCWriter is a journalist who is fueled by espresso and motivated by determination. She specializes in pop culture, country music, and news content.

Sign me up for the ROCK 92.9 email newsletter!

Be the first to know about rock news, upcoming shows, plus exclusive prizes, giveaways, and more!

By clicking "Subscribe" I agree to the website's terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I understand I can unsubscribe at any time.