Rivers Cuomo is selling off thousands of unreleased demos as part of a project for a class he’s taking.
The Weezer frontman announced this news via Twitter writing, “For my Web Programming class final project, I made a web market stocked with 2655 previously unreleased demos.”
For my Web Programming class final project, I made a web market stocked with 2655 previously unreleased demos. https://t.co/wFNb1drPRs— Rivers Cuomo (@RiversCuomo) December 8, 2020
Cuomo then shared the link to RiversCuomo.com where fans can pick from a list of demos to purchase. Before purchasing, the site advises to check out an “explanation” page that has a few requests including, “Once purchased, please don’t share. If you have a close friend, who really can’t afford it, and they really want the music, sure, go ahead and share. But don’t post for the general public. For example, on YouTube.”
The “explanation” page also notes, “I really appreciate it when you alert me to stuff that shouldn’t [be] in a given bundle or shouldn’t [be] released at all. Also, please let me know if there’s anything I wouldn’t want public in all the voice notes. I never thought I would be releasing those. I don’t know what’s in them. Thank you.”
The page further details:
“For any demo:
- It might have silence.
- It might be wildly inappropriate.
- It might have super low sound quality.
- It might just be me rambling, talking, making sounds.
- It may have already been shared or leaked.
- It might be just a drum beat. it might not have vocals.
- It might be a duplicate of another demo.
- It might be an inferior version of another demo.
- the information provided, such as year and description, might be incorrect.
- Also, over time, the contents of each bundle in the market might change.
- Or the metadata for a file might change.”
In other words: If you’re interested in a random file from Rivers Cuomo that he clearly hasn’t gone through, this just turned into the best week ever!