Man Dies After Eating Too Much Black Licorice
A Massachusetts man’s love for black licorice recently cost him his life.
Per the New York Post, the man ate a bag and a half of the candy daily for weeks leading up to his death last year. He collapsed inside a fast food restaurant and passed away the next day. When doctors went to find the cause of death, they found he had dangerously low potassium, which led to heart rhythm and other problems.
The outlet states, “Licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which could deplete potassium levels and contribute to heart rhythm problems.” Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, adds, “Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit.”
Shockingly, the outlet lastly points out that the Food and Drug Administration warns that eating just 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks can lead to an irregular heartbeat.