It’s a boy for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
On Monday, May 6, the official social media accounts for the royal couple announced the birth of the couple’s son.
Fans around the world had been waiting for weeks, looking for any sign that Duchess Meghan Markle had gone into labor. Breaking with royal tradition, the couple had announced their decision earlier to keep the details of their birth private.
“Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private,” an announcement read. “The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family.”
But in the early morning hours of Monday, Baby Sussex was ready to make his debut as multiple reports said she had officially gone into labor.
Shortly after 9:30 a.m. EST, the Sussex Royal Instagram page shared the official news: It’s a boy and mommy and son are both healthy.
“We are pleased to announce that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed their firstborn child in the early morning on May 6, 2019. Their Royal Highnesses’ son weighs 7lbs. 3oz.
“The Duchess and baby are both heathy and well, and the couple thank members of the public for their shared excitement and support during this very special time in their lives.”
The couple had also previously announced they would not be doing the famous photocall hours after giving birth, although an excited Prince Harry spoke to the press outside their home shortly after the news broke.
“How any woman does what they do is absolutely beyond comprehension,” Prince Harry said.”But we’re both absolutely thrilled.”
Congratulations to the couple.